Sunday 23 February 2014



CHENNAI: Mike Hussey was a pillar of strength for Chennai Super Kings over the last six years. But this time around, Mumbai Indians picked him up in the auctions as CSK didn't go the distance to retain him.

Hussey always wanted to be a part of the CSK family but he doesn't mind taking fresh guard for the defending champions. During a chat with TOI, Hussey spoke about his IPL ambitions, his role in the new team, his CSK stint and a lot more.

Excerpts:

You were the most consistent player for CSK over the last three years. Were you surprised they didn't retain you? 


It's part of the game. Yes, I was attached with CSK for six years but there is a retention policy in place and you can't have everyone. Moreover, Mumbai Indians is an exciting option and I would like to do what I had been doing for CSK.

What is it about CSK that you will miss most? And do you think CSK will miss you? 


I will miss the fans, the atmosphere, the friends, and the support staff. We had such great success as a team. As for CSK missing me, I don't know. They have a very good team in place yet again, it's extremely well balanced.

Mumbai Indians, quite clearly, are looking at you as Sachin Tendulkar's replacement at the top of the order. Your thoughts... 


If I could be half as good as Tendulkar, I would think I have done a great job. He was a player of different class and calibre. But of course, I understand my responsibilities in the team and I would like to perform that to the best of my abilities.

Don't you think Mumbai Indians are a little thin in the middle-order? After you and Rohit at the top, the team seems to lack the class till No. 6? 


Is that so? I don't think so...Rayudu is a good player, (Aditya) Tare is decent. And then of course, you have Kieron Pollard. The management must have thought hard before putting a team into place.

Are you surprised that they didn't retain Mitchell Johnson? 


Retention in the IPL is a lot about how much money you want to spend on a player. Every franchise in IPL would have liked to pick Johnson given the form that he is in. The Mumbai owners know the value of Johnson, but they have to put a team in place in a given budget.

How do you see Johnson's development over the last few months? 


Oh, fantastic. The pace, the aggression...he seems to have given a different dimension to the Australian team. Much of their success in recent times is a result of what Johnson has done as a bowler. On current form, I would think he is right up there as the best pace bowler in the world.


You were seen as a mentor in the CSK set-up. Is that something you would like to continue in MI? 


Of course I would. I have always enjoyed working with younger players and have loved guiding them. It was great doing it for CSK for six years. It will be the same for Mumbai as well.

The IPL is likely to be shifted to South Africa. Your thoughts... 


It will be an interesting challenge. As it is, all the teams are well balanced and playing in alien conditions means that the difference between the teams will come down even more. It will boil down to how well the teams adapt to the surfaces in South Africa. Experience is bound to play an important role.

We have seen that top international players are superb in the first year after retirement (Matthew Hayden, Shane Warne, and Adam Gilchrist). But performances seem to taper off in the second...You are in your second year, how will you cope with the demands?

See, it's not that I am totally away from cricket. I have worked hard on my fitness and have played the Big Bash. Of course, it gets difficult with age, but I understand my responsibility as a professional.

Have you been following India's performances lately? Do you think MS Dhoni is really losing his spark as a Test captain? 


I haven't seen much to make a comment. Struggles are part of international cricket, but I still think India have the batsmen who are really top class. There's no reason why they shouldn't do well in the future.
Categories:

0 comments:

Post a Comment