Sunday 23 February 2014

NAGPUR: It's been almost two years since Praveen Kumar played a game in India colours. Sachin Tendulkar's final One-day International (vs Pakistan, Mirpur), was the last time this Uttar Pradesh pacer represented the country.

Since then, his life has been somewhat of a roller-coaster ride. From disciplinary action to frequent injuries, Praveen has seen it all in the last 18 months. Going unsold in the IPL auctions would have also hurt him.

With no more international cricket to prove his match fitness, Praveen was eagerly waiting for the IPL to stake his claim for the England tour, where he did well last time. Now, the 27-year-old is keen to start all over again.

"Frankly, I didn't expect to go unsold. I have done well at all levels, be it IPL, Ranji Trophy, Duleep Trophy, Deodhar Trophy or international cricket. It's just that my shoulder injury took a long time to heal.

IPL is a great tournament and it would have given me the opportunity to make a comeback. I was disappointed, but I am prepared to work hard again. I reached this level by working hard and that's what I need to do again.

I will go back to the domestic circuit, prove myself again and make a comeback. Last time I missed out playing the World Cup narrowly. There's still time left for the World Cup and I am keen to be part of the squad," Praveen told TOI on the sidelines of the BCCI Corporate Trophy.

After last year's IPL, he suffered from a shoulder injury and had to opt for a surgery. "The shoulder is in good shape now. I don't have any pain and have been bowling well. People said I could have opted for surgery a bit earlier, but I followed the advice of the experts at the National Cricket Academy and got it done when they told me to go for it," he said.

Asked whether if his fitness prompted franchises to not bid for him, Praveen said, "I don't know. Only they can answer. Getting selected in any team is not in my hand. What I can do is to work hard again and prove that I am still useful.

I was keen to play Ranji Trophy this season. I have always enjoyed playing first class cricket. It gives an opportunity to bowl long spells but unfortunately my surgery happened during the season."

While it was frustrating to sit out for a long time, Praveen sees plenty of positives in that. It gave him the opportunity to spend a lot of time with his family, which made him calmer.

"Before my injury, I had been consistently playing cricket for long time. This break allowed him to spend a lot of time with my new-born baby. Being a father has made me a lot more responsible. I think I have matured as a person.

I don't show too many emotions now. I have always played cricket in a competitive manner and I will continue to play that way, but I know now where to draw the line. I want people to talk about my bowling skills rather than other issues," he said.
Categories:

0 comments:

Post a Comment