Saturday 22 February 2014



However Victorian all-rounder Maxwell (119) says Lehmann’s criticism has mostly worked after posting successive tons against New South Wales and the Redbacks.
Yet the Big Show’s mode of dismissal remains a concern.
A flaky reverse sweep demise to deep point off leg-spinner Adam Zampa (2-82) ended Maxwell’s 84-run stand with skipper Matthew Wade (11) in Adelaide on Saturday. A 5-77 collapse followed, sealing first innings points for SA.
MATCH REPORT
“It is a shot I have played well over the past 12 months, I backed myself to hit it,” said Maxwell, also dropped on 15 playing an identical reverse sweep to point.
“You look back at it and it was before lunch, extremely disappointing.


“However people have to understand that shot is the way I try and get on top of spinners, manipulate the field.
“Getting out was pretty poor. It’s nice to make a hundred but the onus is on you to be there at the end.”
Maxwell must audition on Sunday as the crunch Test all-rounder Australia craves to deny South Australia outright victory in Adelaide and a clear path to the Sheffield Shield final.
Maxwell copped a bake from Lehmann after Australia’s rare loss of the summer, the fourth one-day clash against England in Perth. Maxwell’s shot selection and match awareness in reckless dismissals against England in Brisbane and Perth when Australia needed a hero troubled Lehmann.
“It was definitely valid criticism but I wasn’t expecting it to me made public,” said two Test enigma Maxwell.
“It has got a response the last couple of games I suppose. I am hoping I can turn it around and be the player he needs me to be.
“I feel like I have all the tools to do it, just missing that finishing touch.”
For all Maxwell’s box office blows and 540 Shield runs at 49 this season, Lehmann will want more composure in the cut throat cauldron of Test cricket.
Maxwell, 25, remains unrepentant about his approach warning against confusing innovation with arrogance.
“I see the reverse sweep same as (the) lofted straight drive, a legitimate shot I practice a lot but coaches don’t always see it that way.”
The Bushrangers were 2-93 in their second innings at stumps, still requiring 109 runs to make SA bat again on the final day.
Top ranked South Australia is currently two points ahead of New South Wales and four ahead of Western Australia with two games remaining.


Categories:

0 comments:

Post a Comment